Hosting engaging virtual meetings is a big challenge. You want to ensure each team member feels a sense of belonging and excitement in a video call.
One simple way to get closer to this goal is to ask thought provoking or fun icebreaker questions. But isn't it tiring to always ask the same shallow questions about whether someone is a dog person or a cat person? What about favorite ice cream flavor?
Don't worry, we dive deeper, fostering real connections that enhance virtual team building and bring laughter and thoughtfulness into our digital gathering spaces.
Here's how we've categorized great ice breaker questions for virtual meetings:
- Energizing and Funny Icebreaker questions
- Reflective and Personal Icebreaker Questions
- Cognitive Challenge Icebreaker Questions
- Wildcard and Creative Icebreaker Questions
Random Icebreaker Generator
Energizing and Funny Icebreaker questions
These questions aim to inject energy into the group and can be a great way to start a meeting on a light-hearted note.
- If you could have an unlimited supply of one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- What’s your go-to karaoke song and why?
- If you could only eat one favorite food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- Imagine you’re an infamous villain. What would be your super-villain name?
- What’s the most unusual place you’ve ever visited?
- If you could instantly become an expert in something, what would it be?
- What's the most embarrassing fashion trend you followed, and do you have photo evidence?
- Share the funniest video you’ve recently seen online.
- If you could add a word to the dictionary, what word would it be, and what does it mean?
- What’s a silly fear you have?
- Which movie would be greatly improved if it was made into a musical?
- What would the title of your autobiography be?
- If you could be a character in any TV show, who would you be and why?
- What’s your most used emoji?
- What’s the weirdest food you’ve ever eaten?
- If you could bring back any fashion trend, what would it be?
- Would you rather fight one horse-sized duck or a hundred duck-sized horses?
- If your life was a hashtag, what would it be?
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given but never followed?
- Tell us about a nickname you have and how you got it.
- If you were ice cream, what flavor would you be and why?
- What’s something that everyone looks stupid doing?
- If you had to eat one meal every day for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- If you could be any supernatural creature, what would you be?
- What’s one of the most hilarious childhood memories you can think of?
Reflective and Personal Icebreaker Questions
Questions in this category help participants share something about themselves in a more meaningful way. They promote personal connection and empathy within remote teams.
- What’s one book that has profoundly affected your life?
- What’s a hobby you’ve always wanted to pick up but never did?
- Share a piece of wisdom that someone in your family passed down to you.
- If you could dedicate a year of your life to serving a cause, what would it be?
- What’s the most valuable lesson you’ve learned from your career thus far?
- Describe a “perfect day” for you, from morning to night.
- What’s one goal you are determined to achieve in your lifetime?
- What’s your earliest memory that makes you smile?
- If you had the chance to go back in time for 24 hours, where and when would you go?
- What's a memorable virtual team building activity that made you feel truly part of the team?
- What are three things on your bucket list?
- If you could learn any skill instantly, what would it be?
- What’s one thing you’ve done that you’d advise others never to try?
- Which historical figure would you like to have coffee with?
- What’s a talent you have that most people don’t know about?
- What’s a challenge you’ve overcome that made you stronger?
- Tell us about a place you’ve been that felt like a different planet.
- What’s one thing you’re looking forward to in the next year?
- What’s the best compliment you’ve ever received?
- Share a random act of kindness you’ve either given or received.
- What’s a moment in your life that felt like a crossroads?
- If you could send a message to the entire world, what would you say in 30 seconds?
- What’s something you believe in that not everyone agrees with?
- Tell us about a “hidden gem” in the city or town you live in.
- If you could witness any event of the past, present, or future, what would it be?
Cognitive Challenge Icebreaker Questions
These are thought-provoking questions that require a bit more thinking and are great for meetings where you want to stimulate creativity or problem-solving right from the start.
- If you could solve one world problem, what would it be and how would you tackle it?
- What's one invention you can't believe hasn't been created yet?
- If you had to teach a class on one topic you’re passionate about, what would it be and why?
- What's a controversial opinion you have about a popular book or movie?
- If our virtual meeting was a spaceship, what role would you play in our mission?
- What's the most compelling piece of trivia you know?
- Describe your thought process if you were to invent a new color.
- How would you describe the internet to someone from the 19th century?
- If you could enhance humans with one ability from the animal kingdom, what would it be?
- What's a prediction you have for the future that others might find surprising?
- If you had the power to merge two different animals to create the ultimate creature, what would they be?
- What do you think would be humanity’s reaction to the discovery of extraterrestrial life?
- If you could live in any fictional world for a week, which one would you choose?
- Which scientific mystery or phenomenon do you find most interesting?
- If you were to write a book, what genre would it be and what would be the main storyline?
- What’s something that seems obvious to you, but others seem to disagree with?
- If you could design a new planet, what would be the most important feature?
- What’s a piece of technology you think will change the future?
- If you could add a new subject to the school curriculum, what would it be?
- What’s a skill or craft you think everyone should learn?
- If you were a detective solving a case, what would be your signature method?
- How would you use a time machine to benefit mankind without causing any paradoxes?
- What’s an ethical dilemma that you find particularly intriguing?
- If you could have a conversation with any person from history, who would it be and what would you discuss?
- If you could witness any event in history, what would it be and why?
Wildcard and Creative Icebreaker Questions
This is a mix of unusual, unexpected, or off-the-wall questions that don't fit neatly into other categories. They're designed to prompt surprise and spontaneous reactions that can lead to memorable moments.
- If you were a superhero, what would your catchphrase be?
- What’s the most imaginative nickname you can come up with for yourself?
- If you could instantly master any art form, which would it be?
- If your life was a genre of music, what would it be?
- What’s an unusual skill you’d love to learn, just for fun?
- If you were to become a famous artist, what would you be known for?
- Imagine you’re a chef; describe your signature dish.
- If you could design your own planet, what would be the most unusual feature?
- What’s a strange combination of flavors that you enjoy?
- If you had to live in a movie for a week, which one would you choose?
- If you could create a new holiday, what would it celebrate?
- If you could turn any activity into an Olympic sport, in which would you have a good chance at winning a medal?
- Describe your dream house if there were no budget constraints.
- If you could have any mythical creature as a pet, what would it be?
- If you could open a restaurant, what kind of food would you serve?
- What’s a piece of technology from science fiction you wish existed?
- If you could exchange lives with any fictional character for a day, who would it be?
- What’s the title of the current chapter of your life?
- If your personality was a city, which city would it be?
- If you could compose a theme song for yourself, what instruments would be in it?
- What’s the most creative excuse you’ve ever used to get out of something?
- If you were a fashion designer, what kind of clothing would you design?
- What’s an activity you think could bring about world peace?
- If you had to give a TED talk tomorrow, what would it be about?
- If you could invent a new ice cream flavor, what would be the most outrageous flavor combination you’d try?
Icebreaker questions are more than just conversation starters—they're helpful for virtual team building. Here's a more detailed breakdown of their benefits:
Bridging the Digital Gap: Using fun icebreaker questions turns our virtual meetings into friendly gatherings, helping everyone on the team feel connected, even when we're far apart.
Building Team Spirit: Each question is a stepping stone towards stronger team building, helping members find common ground, from favorite foods to bucket list adventures.
Promoting Participation: Icebreaker questions encourage everyone to contribute, ensuring that each virtual team member, new or established, has a voice.
So, in your next virtual team gathering, leverage these questions not only to break the ice but also to forge connections that resonate beyond the screen. Remember, a simple question can lead to a shared laugh or a moment of insight, making every virtual interaction count.
Now, go ahead and use these icebreaker questions to enliven your next online session, where every participant can feel connected, engaged, and valued—ready to collaborate and innovate.
What are 5 great ice breaker questions?
1. The Dream Vacation: "If you could teleport to any place on Earth for a day, where would you go and why?"
2. Culinary Curiosities: "What's the most interesting dish you've ever tried, and would you eat it again?"
3. Hidden Talents: "Do you have a skill or hobby that no one at work knows about?"
4. Book or Movie Swap: "Which book or movie has had a significant impact on you, and why?"
5. Time Travel: "If you could witness any historical event in person, which one would you choose?"
What is a fun ice breaker question for work meeting?
The Superpower Scenario: "If you could have any superpower just during work hours, what would it be and how would it boost your productivity or team collaboration?"
This question is fun as it invites creativity and can lead to humorous as well as insightful discussions about work styles and team dynamics. It’s a light-hearted way to start a meeting that can also reveal what team members value in their workday.