Want to learn the best business insights from remarkable speakers at Slush 2023, but don’t have the time to watch the full speeches on YouTube?
You’ve come to the right place. Below is a summary of a speech by Meagan Loyst who landed a job at General Atlantic ($80Bn Growth Fund) at 21.
(psst: the notes were automatically generated with Wudpecker's AI notetaking tool. If you'd like to check these notes + transcript + audio recording without needing to log in, press here.)
<p class="h1-rich">🤏 TL;DR</p>
Young investors and founders are bringing a new perspective to the VC industry, with a focus on personal interests and passions. They can overcome the lack of credibility and network by finding communities and champions to expand their reach. Gen Z investors and founders have the potential to drive change and support each other as they grow in their careers. Action items include preparing presentation slides, finding champions and communities, reflecting on personal growth, empowering young team members, and sharing ideas to gain exposure.
<p class="h1-rich">✨ Summary</p>
Age is just a number for VCs and founders
- Youth in the VC industry is a relatively new phenomenon, with more young investors and founders entering the field.
- There is a lot of power that comes from being young, as it allows for a different perspective and new ways of thinking.
- Young individuals can overcome the lack of credibility and network by joining communities and finding champions who can help them gain access to the right rooms.
The importance of leaning into interests and finding strengths
- Leaning into personal interests and passions is crucial for finding strengths and purpose.
- Being in the right rooms and finding communities that align with one's interests can open doors and provide opportunities for growth.
- Reflecting on what is being learned at each phase of one's career can help propel progress and lead to new opportunities.
Utilizing unique perspectives and market expertise
- Having a different perspective as a young investor can bring value to the boardroom, especially when it comes to understanding customers and market trends.
- Gen Z investors can offer insights and expertise beyond consumer companies, such as in enterprise companies with a B2B-to-C go-to-market strategy.
- Building content and sharing ideas can be a powerful way to source deals and differentiate oneself in the industry.
Creating impact at scale through startups and venture capital
- Investing in founders and startups allows for impact at scale, as these companies have the potential to change the world.
- Passion and lived experiences can be more valuable than deep industry experience when it comes to driving success as a founder.
- Young investors and founders are increasingly focused on sustainability and climate-related initiatives.
The collective power of Gen Z
- Gen Z's inclination to share and build community digitally enables collective support and collaboration.
- Young founders are building personal brands alongside their startups, leveraging their voices and experiences to make a difference.
- Gen Z investors and founders have the potential to drive change and support one another as they grow in their careers.