Want to learn the best business insights from remarkable speakers at Slush 2023, but don’t have the time to watch the full speeches on YouTube?
You’ve come to the right place. Below is a summary of a speech by Anna Gullstrand, Chief People and Culture Officer of Mentimeter.
(psst: the notes were automatically generated with Wudpecker's AI notetaking tool. If you'd like to check these notes + transcript + audio recording without needing to log in, press here.)
<p class="h1-rich">🤏 TL;DR</p>
TL;DR: The importance of inclusion and diversity in the workplace was discussed, highlighting the impact it has on brain function, business performance, and company culture. Action items included implementing unconscious bias training, creating a diverse hiring team, systemizing onboarding processes, and measuring and following up on diversity and inclusion goals.
<p class="h1-rich">✨ Summary</p>
The Importance of Inclusion and Diversity
- Our need for relatedness, togetherness, and relationships is built in from the start of our lives.
- Millions of years of living in tribes have impacted our brains, making it important to feel safe among others.
- Feeling safe and valued at work is crucial for optimal performance.
The Impact of Inclusion on Brain Function
- Our brain quickly determines if we are safe in a group or not.
- Feeling unsafe can lead to negative emotions and hinder rational thinking.
- Feeling safe and valued in a group allows for positive emotions and full access to our brain's capabilities.
The Need for Inclusion in the Workplace
- Inclusion is about making everyone feel safe, valued, seen, and heard.
- Unconscious biases can hinder inclusion, so it's important to create awareness and actively work towards inclusion.
- Diversity and inclusion have a positive impact on business performance, innovation, customer understanding, and recruitment.
Creating Inclusive Company Cultures
- Building diverse teams involves creating a diverse pipeline and using objective assessments to avoid unconscious biases.
- Having diverse hiring teams and using anonymous scoring can help ensure fairness in the recruitment process.
- Integrating inclusion values into all people processes, such as onboarding and performance management, is crucial.
Stages of Building an Inclusive Company
- Founders need to genuinely believe in the importance of inclusion and diversity.
- Investing time in building relationships and making employees feel safe is crucial.
- Search for colleagues outside of your network and learn how to interview for competence and personal values.
- Systemize and scale inclusive practices, such as onboarding and team development.
- Integrate inclusion values into all people processes, including employer branding and performance management.
- Measure and follow up on diversity and inclusion efforts, ensuring fairness in salaries and opportunity distribution.
The Role of Inclusion in Meetings and Team Dynamics
- Inclusion is about making everyone feel important, certain, autonomous, and connected.
- Investing in togetherness and relatedness helps create a safe and engaging company culture.
- Using tools like Mentimeter can facilitate inclusive meetings and team collaboration.
The Benefits of Diversity and Inclusion
- Diverse companies outperform their peers and show higher degrees of innovation and creativity.
- Understanding and embracing diversity helps global companies better serve their customers.
- A diverse and inclusive company culture leads to higher performance, happiness, and fun.