Want to learn the best business insights from remarkable speakers at Slush 2023, but don’t have the time to watch the full speeches on YouTube?
You’ve come to the right place. Below is a summary of a speech by OpenAI’s Romain Huet, Head of Developer Experience.
(psst: the notes were automatically generated with Wudpecker's AI notetaking tool. If you'd like to check these notes + transcript + audio recording without needing to log in, press here.)
<p class="h1-rich">🤏 TL;DR</p>
OpenAI has a significant presence in Europe, with millions of users and major companies using their API. Despite recent controversies, OpenAI has not lost any customers or partners and remains focused on improving technology and providing updates. OpenAI is excited about the future and plans to reduce costs, lift rate limits, bring new modalities into products, and optimize developer experience.
<p class="h1-rich">✨ Summary</p>
OpenAI's Metrics and Presence in Europe
- OpenAI's chat expertise has 34 million users in Europe and over 600,000 active users in Finland.
- Major European companies such as Spotify, Delivery Hero, Zalando, and Klarna are using OpenAI's API.
- OpenAI has opened offices in London and Dublin, with plans to expand the team in Europe.
Reflections on Recent Events and Customer Support
- OpenAI has recently faced challenges and controversies, but the company is back on track with Sam Altman and Greg Brockman returning.
- The support from customers, partners, and developers during this time has been heartwarming, and OpenAI has not lost any customers or partners.
- OpenAI remained focused on its customers during this period, improving the technology and providing updates such as CHAT GPT Voice for free users.
Highlights of Dev Day and Product Updates
- The launch of GPT-4 Turbo, an update to OpenAI's most advanced language model, with lower prices and improved capabilities.
- New modalities in the API, including text-to-speech, vision, and Dall-E 3.
- The introduction of agents' experiences with GPTs in Chat GPT and the Assistance API.
Building with Agents and Future Product Value
- OpenAI sees agents as more capable, personalized, and customizable AI systems that can perform tasks on behalf of users.
- While current offerings are not considered agents, they are a step towards building agentic software.
- Startups can leverage OpenAI's models to build innovative customer experiences and focus on their unique insights and workflows.
Developer Experience at OpenAI
- OpenAI aims to provide the best developer experience by removing friction and offering an easy path to integrate AI into products.
- Self-serve experiences, documentation, and feedback from customers play a crucial role in enhancing developer experience.
- Feedback from users has led to improvements in cost, rate limits, and new modalities.
Open Source vs. API Usage and Trade-offs
- OpenAI supports open source models like CLIP and Whisper V3 while maintaining control over more capable models through the API.
- Using OpenAI's API allows startups to focus on building their MVPs and achieving product-market fit rapidly.
- The cost and control advantages of open source need to be weighed against the benefits of using the latest frontier models through the API.
Future Outlook and Excitement for the Next Year
- OpenAI is excited to continue transforming software with natural language and conversational AI.
- The company expects more breakthroughs and advances in the field but is particularly excited to see what founders and developers will build using OpenAI's technologies.
- OpenAI is eager to witness the emergence of killer apps based on their technology and looks forward to seeing the progress and success of the founders in the audience.